Fenty Beauty Foundation & Primer

Like a lot of other people, when I heard Rihanna was bringing out her own makeup line I definitely got excited and couldn’t wait to hear more. Rihanna being the well-known beauty and fashion goddess of the music industry she is, her beauty line had to be something special.

Rihanna announced that her new makeup line was created “so that women everywhere could be included” with a huge range of 40 foundation shades to match all skin tones with different undertones and skin types which sent the beauty world crazy. I mean 40 shades on first release?! That’s one big achievement considering brands that have been around for years still only have 10 shades. The hype just kept on growing and before we knew it, it was release day. Not only did Rihanna release the 40 foundation shades, she also released a matching primer, a variety of match stix for concealer, contour and highlight, highlighter duos, brushes and makeup tools and even a universal lip gloss shade to suit everyone. Amazing. But it doesn’t stop there! Not only did she release all of these beautiful looking products, she even made them a lot more affordable than I was expecting, yanno, with being Rihanna n all that. Even better, everything is available in the U.K. at Harvey Nichols, so no nasty shipping fees and customs for me!

A lot of people went crazy for the beautiful highlighter duos, but I was most intrigued by this new foundation in it’s huge variety of shades and of course not forgetting the primer to go with it. So for my first purchase from Fenty Beauty, they were the only two items I picked up. The foundation retails for £26 and the matching primer is £24 which I really didn’t think was too steep seen as it’s cheaper than the likes of Nars and almost on par with MAC. The packaging is also really simple with frosted glass and a simple logo on the side but I think it makes them look really classy and expensive which I love. The primer and foundation both have pumps on too for quick and easy application which is so important with these types of products, it is quite frustrating having a foundation without a pump as I just find it makes you waste a lot of product.

I have to say the most difficult part of my purchase was definitely choosing the right foundation shade, as with the amazing variety of shades all with different undertones too, it did make it more difficult to match yourself online. This is something I hate doing as it comes with the dread of receiving a foundation and it being the completely wrong shade. But seen as I live nowhere near a Harvey Nichols this was my only option as I couldn’t go into store to be shade matched. Luckily though, after a good few hours of watching Youtube reviews and searching through Instagram and Google, the shade I finally went for (after a lot of stressing) ended up being shade 150 which is described as being for light skin with neutral undertones and it was pretty good match. I’m definitely going to include swatches in this post to compare to my other foundations and show you what the foundation looks like freshly applied and once it’s dried down so you can really get a good idea of the shade as it does dry down to be darker. The below photo is the foundation dried down on the left, and freshly applied on the right;

Before we talk more about the foundation though I think we should talk about the Pro Filt’r Instant Retouch Primer. So the primer is described as “A shine-stopping, pore-diffusing primer that smooths the way for better foundation application and longer wear with an instant retouch effect.” The primer itself is a really baby pink/white colour described as “invisipink” as when applied to the skin it leaves no trace of colour or texture. It feels a little like a moisturiser when applied to the face and then it dries down completely to leave your skin feeling soft but not tacky or anything like you would expect. It also kind of has the smell of a silicon primer even though it’s not one, but it’s only a very very subtle scent which doesn’t linger at all.

I have to say I am a little disappointed. I expected it to blur my pores or at least make them look less noticeable like it said it would, but it literally did nothing of the sort. It also didn’t really make much of a difference to anything at all except maybe when I first applied it, it evened out my skin tone a little and it helped my foundation stay on a couple of extra hours at most. But for £24 I was definitely expecting more and it’s definitely not something you need to go with the foundation but I’m going to continue to use it seen as I did spend that £24.

Moving on to the Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation which is described as “giving the skin an instantly smooth, pore-diffused, shine-free finish that easily builds from medium to full coverage. The oil-free formula is made with climate-adaptive technology that’s humidity resistant, sweatproof and won’t clog pores, so that wherever you are, it’s going to work on your skin. Best of all, this long-wearing, light-as-air texture is undetectable on skin – so you always look like you.”

To start off I think this foundation is definitely medium coverage but can be built up to be as full coverage by using more foundation as you wish. I use 2 pumps for my whole face and it covers all my blemishes and surprisingly my dull spots and my dark circles too. One of the great things about this foundation is that I really feel like I only need half the amount of concealer I usually wear and even then I feel like I do that out of habit, I don’t actually need even that much. It seems to give a really nice finish to my skin which I love and it even balances out my skin tone really well. It’s definitely mattifying as the name suggests but it’s definitely not a flat matte or complete matte as it doesn’t make my skin look lifeless or anything like that which is really nice.

What I was expecting though was for this foundation to really help with my oiliness, and in a way it does but not near as much as I had hoped. It is the most long-lasting foundation I’ve tried but after a few hours my shine has come through a lot, but when my shine does come through, after I blot it away my foundation looks like it has been freshly applied which is the best thing ever. It’s really lightweight on the skin and stays really well on my skin for a good 7 hours (with about 3 lots of blotting in between) and then it starts to fade a little and some of my redness starts to come through and I look like I need to apply some concealer just to touch it up a little and make it more complete again. But if I am to do this it would last even longer. It doesn’t look cakey on my skin, the only other major disappointment is how the foundation and the primer don’t help me in any way with my pores. One last thing to note about this foundation is that you don’t need to set it with powder either which means you can miss a whole step of your routine out, although I do still like to use a setting spray when I’ve finished my makeup just to make sure everything stays in place. (Below from L-R is Nars Sheer Glow in Deauville, Fenty Beauty in 150, Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless in 115 and L’oreal Infallible 24h Matte Foundation in Vanilla)

So even though the foundation is really lacking with helping keep my oil at bay and my pores invisible, I just feel like it’s still a really great foundation that is most definitely a new favourite for me. It wasn’t too expensive and the finish and long-wear aspects to it are just complete winners. What I would say is that I don’t think this foundation is going to be very good for dry skin just for the simple fact it is mattifying, so I am intrigued to see what happens when my skin becomes a little drier in the colder months.

So what do you think, will you be picking up anything from Fenty Beauty? I know this turned out to be a pretty long post but I wanted to make sure I included everything so you got a really good idea of what the foundation & primer are like. I hope you enjoyed reading!

P.s. have you seen the sneak peak of the holiday collection!

1. September 27, 2017 / 6:54 pm

This has been so helpful as I didn’t know which shade to get and had been looking at 150! Mont Blanc is my normal Nars shade in winter (I’m neutral to cool) so I think this should be good.

Robyn

September 28, 2017 / 12:33 pm

Yeah I think my Nars shade is actually just slightly out so I think it would be perfect for you! I’m glad you found it helpful x

2. luxblush
    September 27, 2017 / 7:18 pm

I love the sound of this foundation, but I have heard so many mixed opinions on it about dry skin, so I don’t think I’ll be picking it up for that reason, but it does sound really good otherwise xx

Hannah | luxuryblush

September 28, 2017 / 12:34 pm

Yeah I don’t think it would be great for dry skin but hopefully she’s going to bring some different finishes out to cater for other skin types! xx

3. September 27, 2017 / 7:30 pm

I’m loving the foundation at the moment! But need to try it a few different ways to help it stay on xx

October 1, 2017 / 1:33 pm

Me too! What skin type do you have? Mine stays on for sooo long it’s just annoying that I have to blot a few times throughout the day xx

4. September 27, 2017 / 8:44 pm

It’s so disappointing when a product doesn’t live up to the hype. Shame you didn’t get on with the primer, sometimes products that are meant to reduce pore appearance literally make them look
    Worse, for me anyway! The packaging is gorgeous and classy looking. So at least that’s a plus.

Really good post, very detailed!

September 28, 2017 / 12:36 pm

Yeah the primer was definitely a disappointment but at the same time I don’t dislike it I just wish it did more. The foundation on the other hand I still love even though my oils come through! Yes the packaging is gorgeous isn’t it I love it! Thank you I’m glad you liked it, I really wanted it to be helpful for people who weren’t sure so I tried to get it as detailed as I could! x

5. September 28, 2017 / 8:29 am

I haven’t been as interested in Fenty Beauty as a lot of bloggers, I don’t think the foundation looks that great, the bottle and packaing looks quite cheap and I expected a more expensive look for the collection, I don’t think I’ll be trying anything out but it’s nice to read reviews of others opinions x

September 28, 2017 / 12:38 pm

I think the packaging in person looks a lot better, it’s actually frosted glass and it looks quite sleek. I’m definitely intrigued to see what else she comes out with though and if the packaging will be consistent or changed slightly x

6. September 28, 2017 / 8:40 am

It’s really interesting to read you thoughts on these products as I’ve been looking at buying them too! I think I might give the primer a miss as I like something that fills in my pores. I’m unsure about the foundation still to be honest as there are so many shades I don’t know what I would go for! I am keen to pick up one of the highlighter duo’s though, they look really pretty. X

~ katiekirkloves.com ~

September 28, 2017 / 12:41 pm

I’m glad I could help! Yeah I think the primer is a little disappointing but I do love the foundation still. It is so hard to pick a shade if you can’t get matched but I think as more reviews come out with swatches it might get a little easier! The highlighters do look gorgeous don’t they! I just don’t wear highlighter as much tbh otherwise I probably would have got one of those too x

7. Emma
    September 28, 2017 / 8:55 am

I hadn’t even realised it was released by Rihanna originally, that’s how out of touch I am! The foundation looks fairly good, although I am reluctant to try anything else since finally caving and buying the Estée Lauder doublewear. It’s great that they have so many shades available though, although like you I think I would find it hard to know which one to order online x

September 28, 2017 / 12:43 pm

Haha well I guess if you haven’t heard much about it you wouldn’t! Yeah I know what you mean, this is only the second higher end foundation I’ve bought too. Yeah I do think it’s great with the shades but mainly for people who have access to a store to see them for themselves or be shade matched! I think as more reviews come out with swatches though it might get a little easier to figure out the right shade! x

8. September 28, 2017 / 10:43 am

I personally loved my experience with Fenty Beauty, but I didn’t try the foundation or primer since I don’t really wear either product on a regular basis. I’m excited for her next launch though!
    Emma | emmadrury.com

September 28, 2017 / 12:45 pm

Ooh what did you pick up? Yeah I went for those two as I wear them nearly everyday whereas I don’t wear highlighter as often even though they look so so pretty! Me too it looks gorgeous doesn’t it! x

• September 28, 2017 / 12:46 pm

I got one of the Killawatt Highlighters and a Matte Skin Stick! The new palette looks amazing 💛

9. Amber
    September 28, 2017 / 10:59 am

I love the sound of this foundation, but like you say, I don’t think it would work with my dry skin – especially at this time of the year!

September 28, 2017 / 12:49 pm

Yeah I definitely wouldn’t recommend it for dry skin but hopefully she’s going to bring out some different finishes in the future! x

10. September 28, 2017 / 11:13 am

I saw that most people are raving about this foundation and saying that it’s very good for oily skin, but with you the oils came through quickly – if I decide that I want this foundation I’ll have to get a sample first for sure xx

Carolina’s Makeup Life

September 28, 2017 / 12:53 pm

Yeah I think it’s still great for oily skin as with blotting it still looks perfect afterwards like when you first applied but I think it’s a bit misleading and I was expecting it to contain my oils for longer! I definitely still love it though xx

11. September 28, 2017 / 11:25 am

I haven’t been overly intrigued to try anything from the Fenty Beauty range yet, the highlighters look awesome but I don’t think they’d suit my skin tone really! I can’t believe how much that foundation oxidises too, that’s a pretty dramatic shade change from fresh to dry! I’d definitely be anxious ordering a shade after seeing that as I’m so pale! This is a really great, informative review 🙂
    Alice Xx

September 28, 2017 / 12:56 pm

Yeah I think there was a lot of hype but a lot of people not really interested too! The highlighters look gorgeous but I just don’t wear them enough to buy high-end ones. Yeah it is quite a difference although the first few shades are SO pale so I definitely think there would be one for you! It’s just so hard ordering online I think. Thank you I’m glad you enjoyed it and hopefully found it helpful too! xx

September 28, 2017 / 12:57 pm

I think it all really depends on skin type and things to whether it would suit you! x

12. September 28, 2017 / 12:19 pm

I have to admit that I definitely wasn’t excited about this launch at all and I wasn’t planning on picking anything up. However, I love the sound of this foundation and your review on it xo

September 28, 2017 / 1:05 pm

I think it’s been quite mixed with people being excited and really not excited! Aw I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed my review, I really wanted it to have as much detail as possible for people who weren’t sure or were thinking about buying it! I think it’s a great foundation for certain skin types x

13. September 28, 2017 / 1:08 pm

I don’t think this foundation would be for me at all with my oily t-zone but I really want to pick up the highlighters, they look gorgeous xx

October 1, 2017 / 1:21 pm

My T-zone is really oily too and although it does come through after a few hours, after blotting it looks freshly applied which I love! The highlighters do look gorgeous. xx

14. September 28, 2017 / 2:14 pm

I really want to try this foundation but I have super dry skin so I don’t know that it will work for me! I think I might just stick to the highlighters, and I’ll definitely be staying away from the primer!

October 1, 2017 / 1:22 pm

Yeah I’m not sure if it would work very well with super dry skin but I hope she brings out some different formulas to suit other skin types too! The highlighters do look gorgeous and if I wore highlighters more I would definitely be getting a duo! xx

15. September 28, 2017 / 5:36 pm

I’ve been thinking about trying something especially the primer and foundation so great tpu wrote about it. Thanks for the review.

October 1, 2017 / 1:23 pm

I’m glad you found it helpful! x

16. September 28, 2017 / 5:58 pm

Love this honest review, I’ve been eyeing up the Fenty range and it’s the highlighters that are catching my eye. Foundations aren’t something that I really reach out for and try more of!

Taylor Jane ox | http://www.taylorjane.co.uk

October 1, 2017 / 1:24 pm

Thank you! The highlighters look so gorgeous don’t they, if I wore highlighter more I would definitely be getting one of those duos! I’ve only recently started trying out more foundations and concealers and I’m loving it! I don’t think my bank balance is though haha! xx

17. September 29, 2017 / 11:01 am

I really wanna try this but I have such dry skin that I’m not sure it is for me! I really want to get my hands on the highlighters though – they look incredible!

October 1, 2017 / 1:25 pm

Yeah I’m really not sure if it would work for dry skin, I’m not sure if you can get sample pots but if you can it might be a good idea for testing it out! The highlighters are so gorgeous aren’t they! x

October 1, 2017 / 1:27 pm

I saw it quite a lot for the first few days but after that I haven’t really seen many people talk about it that much which kinda surprised me. The highlighters are so gorgeous aren’t they! I wish I wore highlighter more to justify getting one of those duos! x

18. September 30, 2017 / 1:39 pm

I’m so intrigued by her range, really need to give some bits a try. Love how massive her shade range is!

October 1, 2017 / 1:28 pm

I really just love the look of everything even the makeup tools she came out with they look so good! The shade range is amazing for a first launch isn’t it! I hope she brings out different types of foundations in the future too! x

October 11, 2017 / 7:05 pm

I definitely recommend at least picking up a sample to try!

October 11, 2017 / 7:06 pm

I know you can pick up samples from Harvey Nichols so maybe pick them up to give it a try if you’re not sure. I do love it! x

19. October 9, 2017 / 8:01 am

I was really shocked when I found out the price of the foundation. I was expecting it to be really pricey, so I’m glad it’s not too bad for a high end foundation x

October 11, 2017 / 7:09 pm

Me too! I think it’s such a good price x

20. October 10, 2017 / 7:13 am

This is soooo interesting. I really wanted to get my hands on this but with saving money and all I thought it would be way out of my money range so I didn’t even try! But it’s actually A LOT cheaper than I expected and I might look more into it (thanks for this!!😘) I love the frosted glass effect on the packaging. Brill post x x x

October 11, 2017 / 7:12 pm

I thought it was such a good price considering it’s a celebrity brand! Was expecting it be so much higher but it’s cheaper than NARS! So glad you enjoyed the post, you’ll have to let me know what you think if you do pick it up! xx